Duty Free and Tax Free Purchases May 5, 2015 12:52
If you're planning to travel internationally from Australia, your purchase may be eligible for a GST refund through a government initiative called the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS).
To make it easier for our customers to make the most of this scheme we have prepared the following guide to assist in identifying whether your purchase is eligible and how to make the claim.
Is your purchase eligible for a Goods and Services Tax (GST) refund?
All overseas visitors and Australian residents who have made a purchase from Salera's are eligible for the Tourist Refund Scheme upon departure from Australia provided:
- The purchase value was over $300 (GST inclusive)
- The passenger paid for the goods
- The purchase was made within 60 days before departure
- The passenger still has the original tax invoice for the goods
- The passenger wears or carries the goods in hand luggage aboard the aircraft as they leave Australia, or checks in the goods after verification by an officer at the Customers and Border Protection Client Services counter
Please note the following purchases from Salera's that are not eligible for a TRS refund:
- Spare parts
- Gift cars or vouchers
How do I claim the refund?
You can claim your GST refund by visiting the TRS counter at an international airport or the cruiseliner terminal of some seaports.
In early 2015, TRS launched a phone application on Apple, Android and Windows Phone app marketplaces to simplify the process, download your respective app here.
Follow these steps to claim your refund:
- Ensure upon purchase that you provide your full name, as it appears on your passport
- If your purchase is valued at over $1000 the tax invoice must also include your address
- Present your goods, original tax invoices, passport and boarding pass to the TRS counter upon departure
- If you have pre-entered your claim details using the mobile application, present the generated code to a Customers and Border Protection Officer at the TRS counter
How much will I get back?
All watch and jewellery purchases from Salera's are subject to a 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST), to calculated the amount refunded you can divide the total purchase price by 11.
For example, $1000 / 11 = $90.91 GST
View the official TRS page HERE for more details.